Public relations (PR) is a core strategic communication function that will remain an essential part of today’s business and political landscapes in 2023 and beyond. With the ever-evolving needs of society and the stakeholders who live in it, PR professionals need to stay informed of the latest trends and best practices to ensure they can deliver effective and successful campaigns. Here’s my take on the different trends I believe will emerge this year. In 2023, the current trend- and technology-driven PR landscape will be more important than ever; as such, savvy professionals will have to stay informed of the following five public relations trends:
- Diversity & Inclusion Inclusive Marketing: Attracting diverse and inclusive audiences is likely to be increasingly important for successfully reaching and engaging with customers, especially for global-facing brands. PR firms and campaigns will need to be mindful of cultural sensitivities and strive to create content that is representative of all groups.
- Content Personalization & Customization: The modern consumer expects and prefers personalized niche content, which is more likely to be read and shared. PR professionals will need to be able to effectively measure the effectiveness of content and engagement to ensure campaigns are achieved within an agreed time frame and budget.
- Use of Social and Digital Platforms: The majority of modern brands are now leveraging social media and digital platforms in their PR campaigns, both for outreach and for internal employee communication. As such, it is essential for PR professionals to be comfortable with utilizing social media and digital outlets to drive their messaging forward.
- Influence Engagement & Research: Understanding the potential and existing opinion leaders in your market and researching the influencers’ interests, values, and preferences are now essential to any PR strategy. To ensure positive interactions and successful campaign outcomes, PR professionals must stay informed on the latest influencer trends.
- Analytics & Data: As data continues to increase in importance, understanding and applying analytics to campaigns is now more crucial than ever. Professionals should use analytics to inform their strategies and measure results, as well as course-correct, when necessary.
In conclusion, as the PR landscape continues to evolve in 2023, PR professionals must remain abreast of the latest trends and be willing to adapt their planned strategy in line with the changing needs of stakeholders. By doing so, PR professionals can devote time and resources to creating successful communications that do not forget important tenets in the process such as diversity & inclusion, personalization, and analytics throughout the strategy.